Sunday, March 29, 2009

the discussion session with Dr. Anderson

I just wanted to bring up one point that I made while on the phone with Dr. Anderson after missing the elluminate session. I was thinking about the economy and its role related to culture in these terms- Mao induced the first Cultural Revolution in an effort to give the masses a diverse life experience and therefor a better understanding of it. I told the professor that a new cultural revolution had occured, this time it is at the hands of the economy (due to politics) and the ability to "market" yourself and make a living (since the central writer's association of China no longer pays very well at all and movie producers can't hope to make money unless they get foreign investors at the risk of losing cultural integrity or are banned by the government which still prevents domestic distribution and/or recognition.) I found that to be a rather interesting point.

No comments:

Post a Comment